Pajeon ~~ ✿
Pajeon is a traditional korean-style pancake that is served with a dipping sauce. I contains scallions and seafood such as shirmp or squid is commonly added. It can be served as an appetizer or a snack.
“To cook, the batter is poured into an oiled pan and fried to a golden crisp on a frying pan. Just like a pancake and one of the key to this dish is the egg which contributes to the crispness in texture. The most popular pajeon dish is the seafood hae-mul pajeon, which usually consists of little bits of oysters, fresh baby clams, shrimps and even squids. It’s nothing compared to pancakes most frequently found on North American breakfast tables as a regular pan of pajeon is big enough to feed three hungry mouths.”
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ tbsp vinegar (distilled white)
- 1 stalk scallion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp red hot chili pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cups pancake mix
- 2 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 1 bunch scallions
- Vegetable oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- To make Hae-Mul Pajeon also add:
- 1 cup oysters
- 1 cup chopped clams, fresh
- 1 cup baby shrimps
- In a large bowl, mix pancake mix, water and egg until it’s smooth. Add more mix or water if needed to get the consistency of a thin pancake batter.
- Stir in half the chopped scallions and season with salt and pepper. Let set for about 10-15 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium flame and a little oil.
- Pour about ¾ cup batter into the skillet, tilting the pan to cover the bottom.
- Sprinkle over a few of the scallions and let cook for 6-8 minutes until the bottom is lightly browned.
- For Hae-Mul Pajeon (seafood & scallion pancake): Sprinkle about ¼ cup of clams, oysters, chopped squid, shrimp or other seafood over the batter as you make each pancake.
- Flip and brown the other side and cook for another 6-8 minutes. Make sure all surfaces contact the skillet with a spatula.
- Wipe the skillet with the oily paper towel and repeat with the rest of the batter.
- When ready to serve, cut the pancake into 8 pieces resembling a pizza pie.
- For its dipping sauce, mix the sauce ingredients together.
- Serve pancakes warm.